TelePHONE +49 8054 230   Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   REQUEST brochures

Schalchen is an old estate. In the Middle Ages it was jointly managed with the Mitterndorf estate as a feudal possession of the “Royal Abbey of Frauenchiemsee” (“Königlich Stift und Adelich Kloster Frauenchiemsee”). The "Schalchners" were first mentioned in Monastic Document No. 15 dated September 18, 1265. In this document "Otto von Aschau bequeaths his noble serf Ottiglia, daughter of the Knight of Dorfpach and housewife of Rüdiger de Schalhen to St. Mary in Nonnenwerde (Fraueninsel)" passes.

In 1395 the Schalchners forfeit the feudal possessions of Schalchen and Mitterndorf. The last (indebted) owner of these estates bearing the family name was Henry the Schalchner of Baden (to where he had defected). Over time, ownership of Schalchen and Mitterndorf changes several times. Owners included several very high-ranking families, so that the management of the estates could not have been the main reason for acquiring them. When, in 1407 the opportunity arose for the Abbey at Frauenchiemsee to purchase the estates, the Abbess Katharina did so to prevent any further speculation. In 1491 Frauenchiemsee Abbey was ravaged by fire and large parts were razed to the ground. The Abbess Magdalena Auer von Winkl had to spend huge amounts to restore the abbey and was forced to borrow money wherever she could. As a result she was obliged to pay a tithe to the priest of Gollenshausen for a loan secured against the Mitterndorf estate and a "Schachwartt of Lake Chiemsee" received a tithe from the Schalchenhof for his loan to the monastery. Schalchen and Mitterndorf were subsequently no longer mentioned as jointly managed properties.

Until around 1680, the respective owners of Schalchen were, for the sake of simplicity, given the surname "Schalchner" or "Schallner". This designation has remained in the local vernacular as a name for the estate and the family owning it until this day. The family connection - the uninterrupted succession – of the current proprietors with the erstwhile owners of Schalchen, dates back as far as 1769. Secularization freed the farmers on monastic property from bondage. In 1824 Wolfgang Mayr or Maier (according to the spelling of the local historian StadelHuber) acquired Schalchen for the sum of 750 guilders.

According to a carving found in the attic, the current building at Schalchenhof, was probably built around 1814. Since 1958, Jacob and Justina Strasser have expanded and modified the estate in line with its current usage. The current owner, Justina Juliane Bichler, continues to lovingly operate the inn with her two children, son Siegfried Jacob Rupert and daughter Justina Juliane Sophie Irmengard.

In the winter of 2013 they began to comprehensively renovate the Almrausch rooms and this was followed in the winter of 2014 with the renovation of the rooms with lake view, Chiemseetraum and Bergzauber.


Cookies make it easier for us to provide you with our services. With the usage of our services you permit us to use cookies.
More information Ok Decline